Driving with a motor vehicle

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jcppsu 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

jcppsu
    Participant

My wife plans to walk The Camino next Sept. (2016) We are in our 60s. She wants me to accompny her as her “advance man” in a car due to my advanced knee/hip arthritis. Any advise as to:
    1). is it feasible to drive a car to each village on the Francis Camino? She plans to begin her Camino in St. Jean, France.
    2). While I plan to have a’passport’ of my own, is it reasonable to stay at some of the hostels? or are these strictly restricted to those on “foot, bike or horse”? If not, then I/we could be restricted to private hotels.
    3). Does a walker need to have the passport stamped at a hostel, or are there other places that can stamp the passport, even in the smallest villages?
    Thanks for any advise.

Pilgrim
    Keymaster

Hello!
    – Yes, all the villages of the Way of St. James are accessible by car, you will find it very easy with a normal road map, even better with gps 🙂
    – The pilgrims hostels or “albergues” are strictly restricted to pilgrims on foot, by bicycle or on horse, so they won’t let you stay. Think that make sense otherwise any tourist could take advance of the very cheap prices of the albergues.
    – The pilgrims passport or credential can be stamped also in churches and many other places along the way. Nevertheless, even having an stamped passport, people running the pilgrims hostels can know very easily (thanks to experience) who is walking and who is not. Having said that, there is a really wide range (in price and comfort) of private accommodation along the way of st. james where you or you and your wife could stay so that wouldn’t be a problem at all. These private hostels not exclusively for pilgrims are normally the best option if you don’t want to sleep in a shared bedroom, having more privacy and facilities. But they’re not expensive, I can’t tell the price nowadays since it’s been already a couple of years that I don’t go to the Camino…

Hope this helps!
    Good luck to your wife and yourself in the Camino!

jcppsu
    Participant

Thanks so much for your response. I hope to have a GPS in my car rental for our 30 day adventure, but do not see it offered on the auto rental sites.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela